The temperature has plunged (-15 Fahenheit), and we are in a vortex of Arctic air. I’ve been worrying about the birds, wondering how well they tolerate sub-zero temperatures. And then yesterday, Jim and I saw flashing lights down the block, one street over. We walked over and saw, to our horror, a building on fire. Firemen had a huge hose trained on it, and at one point a crane also sprayed it with water. The three people who lived on the top floor escaped, but it couldn’t have been easy, rushing out into the cold air in their pajamas. The Red Cross came to take them in, and there has been a local clothing drive. I took these pictures–today the building is a still-smoldering piles of wreckage.